Questa Engineering Corporation
is a well-established and stable civil, environmental, and water resource engineering and landscape architecture planning and design firm. Our multi-disciplinary, in-house team of experts is known for developing innovative solutions to a variety of complex environmental challenges. We are located in an attractive waterfront setting overlooking sailboats, marina, and San Francisco, near historic downtown Point Richmond and across from a regional park. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including medical, dental, paid time off, matching 401k after one year, and a fun, flexible, casual work environment (sorry, not served by public transit). Questa is an equal opportunity employer.
(updated September 2022)
Staff Geologist / Staff Engineer / Soil Technician
We seek candidates for the entry level position of Staff Geologist / Staff Engineer / Soil Technician in our Geotechnical Services Department. A full-time or part-time position is available.
- Performing geotechnical observations, inspections, and testing services during construction of Public Works, Residential and Commercial projects under the direction of Senior Staff
- Reading and interpreting Plans and Specifications for construction
- Documenting various stages of construction projects
- Managing data entry for testing services
- Performing laboratory testing of soil and bedrock samples for physical properties such as classification, particle size analysis, hydrometer, Atterberg limits, moisture/density and others
- Responsible for coordinating and performing field investigations using a variety of techniques under the direction of Senior Staff
- Researching the background geologic, seismic and soils conditions for a variety of geological environments
- Identifying soil types in accordance with the Unified Soils Classification System and USDA
- Identifying general bedrock types, structural and engineering features
- Collecting soil, rock, groundwater, and surface water samples
- Preparing borehole logs under the direction of Senior Staff
- Preparing field maps identifying locations of relevant features and sample locations
- Preparing written documents using Microsoft Word
- Preparing and editing data tables using Microsoft Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geology, Earth Sciences, Engineering, or related area, or experience as a Soil Technician or related experience
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record
- Ability to lift 50 pounds on a daily basis
- Ability to use hand sampling and testing equipment to sample soil, rock, groundwater
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to learn new programs for borehole and test pit logging
- GIS and/or AutoCAD experience a plus
- Ability to work well with others in a team oriented setting
Salary / Benefits:
Competitive Salary and Benefits including Health Care, Dental Care, Sick Leave, Vacation Leave, Holiday Leave. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We offer a challenging growth opportunity working with a dynamic group of professionals. The successful candidate demonstrates ability, initiative and engagement in the work at hand.
To apply for an open position, send an email to the address below, to the attention of Human Resources. Paste your response into the body of the email or attach a PDF or Word document. Include a cover letter with your resume outlining your interest and how you meet the listed requirements. If you do not meet certain required or requested elements, please explain why you feel you are qualified.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.